With several heart wrenching locations and the inhabitant ghosts, the Kangaroo land is a picture perfect destination for the horror aficionados and creep enthusiasts across the globe. Without further ado, wade through these most haunted places in Australia. We have got you covered with the haunted Australia, its history and hauntings.
Table of Contents
Haunted Monte Cristo in Australia
History: To represent his wealth and social status, due to the vast amount of land he owned and as a devout Catholic the civic duties he carried out, Christopher William Crawley had Monte Cristo built in 1844-1845. Previous to this he had a lived in a small brick cottage which was built in 1876 and is now called the original homestead, this become the kitchen and servants quarters. The house stood up on a hill overlooking the rest of the town below. Even though he was of high social standing, Mr Crawley still not mind in going about and getting his hands dirty.
As it was still a farming property and this is how Mr Crawley had started out as a farmer. He went on to have 7 children all of whom were privately educated and went on to have happy successful lives.
Mr Crawley died at home aged 69 in 1910 from heart failure, which followed on from blood poisoning. Mrs Crawley died in 1933 aged 92 also from heart failure. It ceased to be a Crawley family home in 1948 when the last family member moved out, it then remained empty for a decade until someone brought it, by this time all the furniture had been sold and it was falling into disrepair due to neglect and vandalism. The Ryan’s still own it today and as well as being their family home it is a tourist attraction and a place full of antiques. All thanks to them that the Monte Cristo home was saved and continues to thrive.
Reported Hauntings: Most of the haunting here stem from when it was the Crawley’s home. It is known that there were quite a few deaths in and around the property and the majority of the rooms in the house are known to have a ghost or two, including Mrs Crawley herself, things are known to move by themselves, lights turn off and on, people have the feeling of dread and voices have been heard. It is known as one of the most haunted houses in Australia.
Haunted Maitland Goal, Australia
History: Maitland was designed by Mortimer Lewis it began to be built in 1844 and opened for its first prisoners in 1848. These included men and women. It was to house some of the most hardened criminals in Australia. 16 hangings were carried out at the gaol between 1848 and 1897 all of these were for either rape or murder. Their bodies were buried beneath the courtyard, besides these deaths there were also many murders and suicides within the gaol.
There were many escape attempts but the majority failed and those that did manage to get to the outside were captured within a short while. The prison closed in 1998 due to an upgrade in prison systems, the security did not meet expectations, the conditions were unsuitable and the cost of running the ancient goal was seen as excessive. It is now a visitor’s attraction and is open for tours.
Reported Hauntings: There are many spirits that still stay at the gaol, most are unhappy and leave you with the feeling of dread and unease at entering some of the cells. Dark shadowy figures have been seen, and the cell doors sometimes shut by themselves.
Haunted Spray Farm in Australia
History: Captain James Conway Langton was given squatters right to a large piece of land in 1843, after he brought the freehold for the land, he built a house in 1851. He named it Ellen dale. The property was sold in 1862 to Charles Ibbotson. In 1865 along with Frederick Dalgety, they founded a wool broking company, the success of this allowed them to build their own homes. Charles then gave the house to his daughter Fanny in 1882, whom was married to John Cleo.
It is thought the house was renamed to spray farm after Charles was impressed by Captain Joshua Slocum became the first person to circumnavigate the world single handedly on his boat The Spray. After becoming abandoned for 20 years the property was sold in 1973 and was brought by someone who did very little to restore the house. It was sold on by a mortgage auction in 1994, by the Browne family., who over 6 years restored the property to its former glory.
Reported Hauntings: Fanny Cleo is said to haunt her former home, also doors slam, footsteps have been heard and people have felt uncomfortable due to an eerie presence that is felt.
Haunted Split point lighthouse in Australia
History: The lighthouse was built in 1891 and was originally called Eagles Nest Point. The name was changed in 1913, it is also known as The White Lady. The light source used to be kerosene, when the lighthouse was taken over by the Commonwealth Government in 1919 it was automated and converted to acetylene.
In 1972 it was converted again to electricity. The 2 keepers cottages were sold by auction in 2004, the event was attended by many, it is unknown how much the cottages went for, but it is thought to be over AU$1.5 million.
Reported Hauntings: It is said that the lighthouse as a few ghosts wandering around, but how many and what types of ghost varies.
Haunted Fremantle Prison, Australia
History: Construction started in 1851 and was completed in 1859. It was originally called Imperial Convict Establishment. Convict labour was used to build the prison and was built out of limestone that was quarried on site.
In 1868 penal transportation had stopped in Western Australia and the number of convicts which were being transported had declined. It was renamed Fremantle Prison in 1886 after the colonial government took over the control of the prison.
The gallows were built at the prison in 1888, and were the only legal place to be executed in Western Australia. Between 1888 and 1984, throughout that time 43 men and 1 woman was hanged.
The last male prisoner to be hanged was Eric Edgar Cooke in 1964 for murder and the last female was Martha Rendell in 1909 also for murder. Aswell as capital punishment there was also corporal punishment such as lashings, and solitary confinement.
It became the prison for local men and women to be sent there to make room for the women the bakery was converted to accommodate them. The women continued to be sent there until 1970 when the women’s were closed and they were sent to Bandyup Women’s Prison.
During the construction of the prison deep shafts were sunk in the bedrock to provide the prisoners with fresh water from a limestone aquifer. The water was such good quality it began being pumped by hand to the colonies and to ship who were berthing at the port. A steam pump was installed in 1888 to take over the work.
To help bring more water to the surface tunnels were built 20 metres underneath the prison. This was done in poor conditions and using prison labour. In 1910 these tunnels were no longer need and were sealed leaving the equipment behind. These tunnels are accessible and open to the public. Also in the local are there are many myths surrounding these tunnels.
Following population growth and the gold rush the prison was extended in 1907 this time using contractors. During 1939 and 1946 because of the wars the Australian Army took over part of the prison and it was used as military prison.
In 1991 the prison was decommissioned and prisoners were transferred to Casuarina Prison. For ten years it was leased to The Fremantle Guardians who ran tours around the prison. After this the state government took back control in 2001 and set out to conserve the site. The prison is open to the public for tours and is also a heritage museum.
Reported Hauntings: The prison is allegedly very haunted some of the things that have been witnessed are past convicts still roaming around, many banging noises, the feeling of unease near the gallows and Martha Rendells face is said to appear in the church window.
Haunted Alkimos Ship in Australia
History: The ship was built as the George M Shriver, during World War II. But she was lanced as the Viggo Hansteen in Batlimore in 1943. After the war she was sold to a Greek shipping company and renamed Alkimos. After the ship was had been in use for near on 20 years, the ship was in one disaster after another. It started in 1964 when it hit a reef on the way to Bunbury and it had to be towed to Fremantle where it underwent repairs.
Then when it was restored the tow broke and it had to be left with an onboard caretaker. Again the ship was soon refloated but on the way to Manila it was seized at sea by authorities and it was left anchored. Then the anchors broke and it went into Eglinton Rocks , this time it was more severely damaged, and the owners planned to sell it on as scrap. But this plan did not happen as in 1969 whilst salvage workers were onboard they had to flee due to a fire. The ship was then just left abandoned.
Reported Hauntings: Variety of events and allegations have given reason to people to believe that the ship may be cursed and is haunted. Some of this is due to that 2 workman who were said to have died during construction, and a murder-suicide taking place when the ship sailed as the Alkimos.
North Head Quarantine Station, Australia
History: Before the station was opened North Head the site was used by the Aboriginal Communities and was known to be used as a special place for Koradgee healing and burial ceremonies. Some evidence can still be seen such as rock shelters and burial sites. The quarantine station came in use in 1828, and was used for nearly 150 years, it was used to quarantine travellers first by sea then then eventually by air, it was still seen as an important process to help keep disease away from the population of Australia.
As well as travellers it was used at the turn of the century to isolate people after the outbreak of bubonic plague and by soldiers returning from World War I to prevent an outbreak of influenza. It was last used in the 1970’s as emergency accommodation for people fleeing Cyclone Tracey. The building was clearly set out to keep different classes and races apart, as this was practiced all over Australia until after World War II. The buildings that have survived and the equipment and other artefacts are seen as a rare and important part of Australian History.
In 1984 The State and Federal government Passed ownership on to the national parks and wildlife for it to be included in the Sydney Harbour National Park.
Reported Hauntings: The quarantine station is known to be an extremely haunted place, which is not surprising with the diseases people suffered there and the amount of deaths connected with the area. Many ghosts have been witnessed and there have also been unexplainable lights, sudden temperature changes, visitors being tapped on their shoulder and/or their clothes being tugged.
Haunted Tasma Terrace
History: The terrace used to consist of 7, three storey homes and was constructed in 2 stages. 3 were built for grain merchant George Nipper in 1878 and 4 were built for bookmaker Joseph Thompson in 1888. There were/are the finest terraces in Melbourne. One of the houses was demolished in 1940 and the rear wings in 1972, before they became protected by the State Government legalization. They are now the headquarters for the Australian National Trust.
Reported Hauntings: The terraces are known to be haunted with strange sounds being heard and apparitions being seen including one of a buxom woman.
Haunted Aradale mental hospital, Australia
History: The hospital was built in 1863 and opened in 1867. It was built to house the mentally insane. In the 1960s and 1970s it became an experimental hospital for the mentally handicapped. It was known as a place where people went to die as it had a high mortality rate. Overall the complex is made up of 63 buildings which have been built throughout the years.
The hospital was like a town within a town as it had all its own amenities such as a market and piggery. The hospital closed in 1993 after the government decided it was too outdated. After its closure it housed female prisoners until 2001, whilst building and restoration work was carried out at The Dame Phyllis Frost Centre. At the present the buildings have been left unused.
Reported Hauntings: As well as apparitions been seen at the former hospital, footsteps and loud bangs have been heard, some people have claimed to have an immense nauseating feeling and some have felt so frightened they are unable to enter some parts of the building.
Haunted Geelong Gaol in Australia
History: The maximum security prison was built in different stages between 1849 and 1864. Its design was based on Pentonville Prison in England. It was built by prisoners who were kept on high security barges on Corio Bay. The prisoners were kept in appalling conditions surrounding by freezing cold stone walls and iron bars. At first hangings were carried out at nearby Gallows Flat, the first hanging at the prison was in 1863 when James Murphy was hung for killing a policeman.
The prison was used as an industrial school for girls between 1865 and 1872. From 1877 it was used as a hospital gaol. During the war years 1940 till 1947 it became an army barracks and then went back to being a hospital gaol. And from 1958 till its closure in 1991 it was a training prison. After its closure all prisoners were moved to a new prison in Lara.
The prisons conditions has virtually been left as it was and is now open to tourists.
Reported Hauntings: The paranormal phenomena that as been reported are, the sound of girls crying, sudden blasts of wind near the gallows, one of the cells is known to fill people will dread and no one wants to enter it, footsteps are heard and several ghosts both male and female have been seen.
Haunted Overland Corner Hotel in Australia
New south wales, Australia
History: The hotel was built on a site previously inhabited by Aborigines for many thousands of years. After this a few other buildings were constructed before the hotel was built in 1859 by 2 of the Brand brothers. It was originally mainly frequented by cattlemen. It has 18 inch thick limestone walls which were taken from the nearby quarry and 10 feet high ceilings. It lost it license and it not sure why and shut for over 90 years.
Between 1897 and 1913 it became a post office, it was then used as a church and a school, before going back to being a hotel. At the end of the dining room is 2 small rooms which shows an insight into how things would have been in the 1800’s. And behind the hotel are a few graves, the official cemetery is also not far away. Today it is owned by the National Trust and continues to welcome guests as well as housing a museum.
Reported Hauntings: The hotel is thought to be quite haunted most of the activity though is blamed on the resident ghost that is known for playing a few tricks such as turning the lights off and on, playing songs on the jukebox and banging about.
Haunted Picton Tunnel, Australia
History: The former railway tunnel is 592 ft long and as been unused for over 100 years. It is situated up a dirt road in the middle of bushland. It has a sad history of many suicides taken place there.
Reported Hauntings: The tunnel as been a place for a few tragedies which as led the belief that it is haunted. A couple of ghosts that are said to be seen are a faceless ghost in a white dress thought to be Emily who was killed by a train a very long time ago and a female who was murdered there. Also strange sounds have been heard, flashing lights and orbs have been seen and some people have the feeling of complete terror when approaching the opening.
Haunted Australia: The Queen Victoria Market
History: Before it became Queen Victoria Market it was known as Motley Market, It first opened under its present name in 1878. Before it was a market the site was used as a cemetery, many but not all of the people buried there were exhumed and moved to other cemeteries around Melbourne. It also was used as a livestock market.
The market is spread over 7 hectares and is said to be the largest open air market in the southern hemisphere. Over the years some parts have been roofed and inner buildings have been constructed. The market is a listed historic place by Victoria Heritage and work is continually done to preserve and restore so it may continue for many more years.
Reported Hauntings: The market is thought to be haunted by some of the people who are still buried beneath it, as some are still not left in peace as their bone have been disturbed as work is carried out on the market. 2 male ghost are often seen around the fruit selling area.
Haunted Port Arthur, Australia
History: The port was named after George Arthur who was Van Diemen’s Land lieutenant governor. It started out as a timber station in 1830, but it is more remembered for being a penal colony from 1833 till the 1850’s. It was used for the most hardened criminals for Britain and Ireland, and also for the rebellious convicts sent from other stations.
The prison focused more on psychological punishment such as the silent system where the prisoner was made to wear a hood and remain totally silent, rather than physical punishment such as whipping. Even though they still took part in hard slave labour. The security measures at the colony were some of the strictest in Australia, three sides were naturally protected by shark infested waters and the fourth which connected it to the main land was protected by crossed fencings and had guards and dogs.
Also at the port is the Island of the Dead where those who died at the prison were buried, graves are prisoners are left unmarked, those of prison guards and military personnel are marked. The prison closed in 1877.
After the prison was closed the site was renamed Carnovan and a community was established, devastating fire destroyed most of this in 1895, and this led to the establishment of a new town. The port became a tourist attraction almost as soon as the prison left, mainly due to the horrid past, and this helped to supply the town with income, by 1927 the tourism had grown so much that the name was reverted back to Port Arthur.
By the 1970’s National Park and Wildlife Services were managing the site. In 1979 funding was received to to help preserve the site as a tourist attraction, and the communities working buildings such as the Post Office were moved to nearby Nubeena. In 1987 the site was taken over by Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority.
Reported Hauntings: Port Arthur is believed to be very haunted, and many strange happenings have been reported such as hearing noises, having the feeling someone is following you, especially down the prison corridors, strange lights, chairs that move by themselves and the terrifying sound of screams, as well as the odd ghost or two being spotted.
Haunted Point Hicks Lighthouse in Australia
History: The lighthouse was built in 1887 and was first lit in 1890, the lighthouse was built out of concrete which was rare for the time and the keepers cottages were made out of timber. Another unusual feature was that the tower had cast iron steps which were cantilevered from the walls, tradition of stone steps built around a central column.
Access to the lighthouse has become easier over the years at first it was only accessible by sea which in 1920 would take 2 days, now it takes much less if travelling by car. The lighthouse was converted to electricity in 1965 and more recently has a solar power supply. The area surrounding the lighthouse remains much the same as it was when the lighthouse was built. The keepers cottages are now holiday homes.
Reported Hauntings: The lighthouse is believed to be haunted by a former light keeper named Christofferson, who makes strange noises during night hours.
Cape Naturalist lighthouse in Western Australia
History: Before the present lighthouse was built a simple lantern was placed on a pole to enable a light to be seen, this was done because something needed to be done as they had been a few tragedies of ships being lost at sea. After this in 1873 a wooden structure known as ‘The Lighthouse’ was built. Then the one we see now was built out of limestone in 1903.
During construction while materials were being unloaded from the ship, a jar of mercury fell into the sea, despite being warned not to go and get it and wait till proper help arrives, someone tried and tragically lost his life failing to retrieve it. The jar has still never been recovered. Three keepers cottages were built in 1904. Life was hard for the keepers as they had no paid leave or travel assistance so many stayed isolated at the lighthouse for very long periods of time. They would have fortnightly deliveries of things they needed.
Reported Hauntings: Two apparitions are known to haunt the lighthouse a woman and a boy, also people have reported being woken from their sleep to see one of the apparitions staring at them.
Her Majesty’s theatre in Australia
History: The theatre opened in 1875 and was first known as the Academy of Music and was built by the Clarke family. The new theatre was being built to supersede the Theatre Royal which was by then considered outdated and unable to cope with travelling productions. Yet the Academy never seemed to be as popular and this was thought to be due to the lack of intimacy in the hall, which the old Theatre Royal had. After Clarke died in 1898 a local consortium brought the theatre and architect William Pitt remodelled the interior.
From the First World War the theatre was mainly used as a cinema (though theatre productions were still seen there) and a projection room was built in 1916. In 1928 the Hoyts Cinema chain took over, through its subsidiary Ballarat Theatres. The building was wired for sound in 1930. Ballarat Amusements then leased the building from 1936 until the early 1960’s. Due to the introduction of television the theatre was sold on as it had an impact on attendance.
It was brought by Royal South Street Society for a place to hold their annual competitions. Donations were given to help with the purchase and to assist with the upkeep. It was renamed the Memorial Theatre which allowed donations to be tax free. By 1987 they gifted the theatre to the City of Ballarat as they no longer could maintain the building. The theatre underwent major renovations and reopened as Her Majesty’s in 1990.
Reported Hauntings: The most reported ghost is that of a young girl in a white dress who is seen in the Dress circles, also loud bangs are heard, seats go up and down and lights go off and on.
Haunted Brisbane City Hall
History: The first town hall was built in Queen Street but by 1882 it was considered inadequate, so a place for a new one had to be found, Adelaide Street was chosen despite it swampy conditions. Architects were chosen in 1909 yet had their contracts terminated due to Brisbane property owners refusing the construction price of £180 000. Even though a new design had not been found to try and gain interest in the project Governor Gould Adams laid a foundation stone in February 1917.
In July that year architects TR Hall and GG Prentice were employed. They submitted their design in 1919 and the building was designed with the features of 300 feet high clock tower with would have a sculpture of the angel of peace on the top, and the facade would have a life size statues with a chariot and horses, the building would cost £480 000. The Prince of Wales laid another foundation stone in July 1920 and a time capsule was buried underneath.
Due to the conditions of the site continuous pumping was needed, but despite this a tragedy still happened when a workman drowned whilst on site. DD Carrick was chosen to construct the building, and to cut cost the chariot was omitted. Work started in 1924 and the first meeting held there was in 1928 it was officially opened 1930 by Governor Sir John Goodwin.
Reported Hauntings: The city hall is thought to be the home of at least three ghosts, a lady in period clothing, a workman by or sometimes in the lift occasionally making it go and an American sailor thought to have been killed in a fight over a girl, also the sound of an argument can sometimes be heard and the noise of a knife being drawn.
Haunted Boggo Road Goal in Australia
History: There was already a prison for males on the site which was opened in 1883, the women’s prison which was run separately was built in 1901 and opened ion 1903. The women’s prison closed in 1921 as space was needed for male prisoners which were being transferred from St Helena Islands penal centre as it was closing due to disrepair. The women were put in another building on the site at the southern end (now demolished).
A workshop was built in 1929 and the Boggo Gaol site was responsible for a large part of Queensland’s prison industrial productions. The majority of the buildings are still the original ones that were built between 1901 and 1903, but most of the older ones have been demolished, the original mens prison was knocked down in 1976. The gaol became a maximum security prison in the mid 1970’s.
It closed in 1989 after the prison became a place of many riots, protests and hunger strikes due to the conditions prisoners were being kept in for eg there were no toilet facilities in the cells and the prisoners had to use a bucket which was emptied each morning. An inquiry found the prison to be outdated and inadequate. Since 1992 the gaol as been a museum and a place of interest with many visitors each year.
Reported Hauntings: The gaol is said to be haunted by a few unsettled ghosts including, 2 guards, and many past prisoners thought to be either ‘lifers’ or prisoners who were hung there. Also the sound of someone stomping around is heard, and people find some places of the gaol extremely unsettling places to be in.
Haunted Shot Tower, Australia
History: The tower was built by the proprietor Joseph Moir in 1870. He chose the site carefully to make sure it was near a road to enable easy transportation of materials and close to a creek so water could be pumped in. It was also a distance away from any other homes so the toxic fumes would not blow their way. Not much is known about the working conditions would have been like, but it known that it was skilled, noisy and dangerous work.
After Joseph’ death in 1874, his sons carried on the business. At first James ran the business until due to troubles it was mortgaged to his brother Joseph in 1887, but unable to compete with the mainland he gave the lease to his brother in law who ran the business until 1905. There were then several more owners until 3.2 hectares were brought in 1956 by the Tasmanian government.
Reported Hauntings: Not all building were purchased through only the shot tower and the Moir residence. Since then it has been let out to different people who have opened it up as a tourist site. The tower is reputed to be haunted with a couple of ghosts being seen and strange noises heard.
Take a virtual journey across the most haunted places in the world.SUGGESTED READ