Wales is a country in northwestern great Britain which is known for its coastline, parks and Celtic culture. Besides this, there are several haunted places in Wales, it is infamous for. Having said that, below are some dreadful locations frequented with creepy ghouls and supernatural beings-
During the Middle Ages, the area around Aberglasney was the centre for bloody battles, including a particularly violent offensive in 1257. Nearby fields still carry the memories with names such as Cae Tranc (field of vengeance) and Cae’r Ochain (groaning field).
Until the fifteenth century we depend on tradition for our knowledge of the people who owned Aberglasney. From that point onwards the property was sold to a different family roughly at the start of each new century and a strange seesaw pattern of wealth alternating with misfortune emerging.
The documents are missing, but Bishop Rudd is generally thought to have acquired the Aberglasney estate sometime around 1600. The house stayed in the family until 1710 when accumulated debts forced Sir Rice, the Bishop’s grandson, to sell the estate to Robert Dyer. His grandson Robert Archer Dyer inherited in 1752 but already Aberglasney was once again draining the family coffers and finally Aberglasney was put up for sale in 1798.
In 1803 Thomas Phillips who died childless in 1824 bought Aberglasney on his retirement. His heirs benefited from his fortune, and his amiable ghost is said to have appeared to a number of gardeners and household staff. His sister’s son John Walters, who added a portico to the Queen Anne façade, then took over the estate.
In 1872 heiress Marianne Pryse married a young soldier, Charles Mayhew. Aberglasney was let out during most of their married life, which they spent in Derbyshire, but they moved here on his retirement in 1902 and set about reforming the place and its inhabitants. When the inscrutable Mrs. Mayhew died aged 90 in 1939 the property devolved to Eric Evans who took up residence with his young bride after the war. But Eric Evans died in 1950 aged only 30, and his young sons’ trustees decided that the property was not viable economically and should be sold.
Like most big houses, Aberglasney was commandeered for troop occupation during World War 2.
At the sale of 1955 the estate was split up. Several tenant farmers acquired the land they had formerly rented; David Charles, a Carmarthen lawyer, bought the house and farm. It remained unoccupied, and decay that began with damp in Mrs. Mayhew’s time accelerated. A further sale took place in 1977, this time fragmenting still further ownership of the house, gardens and farm complex.
Vandalism, theft and the elements combined to escalate the collapse of the estate. The dismantling of the portico was the last straw. When it was offered for sale by Christie’s the law stepped in: its removal from a listed building constituted an offence. There was a prosecution; the publicity raised the profile of Aberglasney and its fortunes were reversed with its sale to the Aberglasney Restoration Trust in 1995.
The castle is associated with the Williams family from around 1690 and is originally built on and around a earlier house, the one we see today is the creation of Sir John Hay Williams. and dates between 1830 and 1852. Due to the loss of the main income from lead mining in the 1850s, the Williams family fortune started to decline.
By the first world war the castle had been reduced in size and was used as a recuperation hospital, and the grounds to the east was used by Kinmel Camp for warfare training. In 1920 the house was sold to Lowther College a school for girls, but that closed in 1982 due to financial problems. What was then Clywd County Council purchased the property and grounds and turned it into a visitors attraction.
Restoration began on the property to put it back to the Victorian style home. In 1994 part of the site was leased to Rank Organisation and became a Warner Holiday Hotel. Also the Williams Hall was placed under the care of the Bodelwyddan Castle Trust.
Bodelwyddan castle is known to be haunted and some of the things that have been witnessed are, strange lights and noises, shadowy figures floating down the corridors, a woman’s figures in the sculpture gallery and a soldier.
The Laugharne (Dylan Thomas) house is ancient and is steeped in history; it is situated on the estuary of the River Taf.
It was the home for 4 years of the poet and writer Dylan Thomas and his wife, who lived in the boathouse, Dylan died in America in 1953, aged 39, his body was brought back to Laugharne to be buried in the local graveyard. His wife refused to live there after so his mother did up until her death in 1958 and after that it became a heritage centre to remember him by.
It is thought that it is the ghost of Florence, Dylan’s mother, who haunts the place; staff has arrived at the house to find amongst other things, lights on, books on the floor and pictures that have been moved.
Llanchaich Fawr Manor, South Wales
The site where the manor house is now, is known to have had other dwellings built on the the same land, reaching as far back as the Roman times. The manor house itself was built in 1530 for the Prichard family. The first master of the house was David Prichard. The house was built to defend well if it was under attack, the walls are 1.2 metres thick. Probably the most well known master of the house was Edward Prichard who had great impact on South Wales as he played an important part in the Civil War between 1642-1646.
Edward died in 1655 leaving no male heir to succeed him. The house then stopped being home to the gentry, and became a tenanted farmhouse for the next 300 years.
The last tenants to live there were the Williams in 1953 they lived there up until 1979, when the house was sold to Rhymney Valley District Council. The house was fully restored and returned to its original state. It is now open to the public as a living museum.
Llancaiach Fawr is known to be one of the most haunted buildings in Wales, some things that have been noted are the sound of children playing, a cot that rocks by itself, ghostly figures of a maid and a soldier have been seen and also people have noticed strange smells around them.
This is Llaneli most historic house and is an eighteenth century Georgian Town House, it was the family home of the Stepneys, originally built by Thomas Stepney in 1714. It is known that John Wesley the early leader of the Methodist movement, stayed in the house on several occasions on his many visits to Llanelli. The house as a checkered history, but it is known that at some point it was split into two one half was owned by the chambers who were father and son and there families and both were doctors, and the other half another doctor called Thomas Beddlington Cook, his wife and their children.
It is now in a bad state of repair but has been purchased by the council with hopes to restore it, and use it public and civic purposes.
Llannelly house is said to be haunted, the most well known ghost being that of a young servant girl Mira Turner, her death certificate states that she died by committing suicide by taking Laundanum, it is told that she got pregnant by thomas’ son and because of the situation and the shame it would of brought, she took the poison and fell down the stairs to her death.
Margam Castle, South Wales
Margam Castle is actually a house and was commissioned by Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot and was built between 1830 and 1840. It was built in a tudur gothic style by the architect Thomas Hopper. After touring Europe, Christopher returned to Margam in 1830. Members of the Talbot family lived at Margam until 1941. It was sold to David Evans-Bevan, he found the property to large to live in, he tried to find an organisation to take over the property but proved unsuccessful, so the property fell into disrepair. For many years it then belonged to the local authority but it was never used or opened to the public. A fire in 1977 caused serious damaged and it was not till after this that restoration began. Now Margam Castle is in the care of the Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council and is Grade I listed.
There is said to be a curse surrounding Margam Castle. Before the Talbots built their home the Mansell family owned the land, and the monks who had left the abbey that once stood placed a curse, it was that if the gatehouse pillars were to fall that the family who were involved would die out within five years. The Mansell family ignored the curse and had the pillars removed the curse proved to be true and the family line did die out within five years. The Talbot family who then brought the land had the pillars rebuilt and they can still be seen standing today.
Margam Castle is home to many ghosts some include laughing children, a blacksmith, and one thought to be Robert Scott who used to be a gamekeeper at the house. Also orbs have been seen and cold spots felt.
Plas Mawr meaning great hall was built for a wealthy influential Welsh merchant Robert Wynn between 1576 and 1585. And dominates the street were it was built. The only thing that over shadows it is the nearby Conwy Castle. On the inside it is rich in ornamentation and design, and it is one of the best surviving Victorian homes in Britain. It is now open for the public to see and has many original pieces of furniture.
Strange things have been witnessed at the house like the sound of heave footsteps, a misty figure at the bottom of the stairs and the sudden in temperatures.
Plas Teg, North Wales
Sir John Trevor had it built in 1610 in a Jacobean style. The family remained there until the end of the eighteenth century, when they bequeathed it to a cousin, they took on the name Trevor Roper, and it remained their home till the Second World War when it was used by the war office to house soldiers. It was sold to Dodds the auctioneers who used it as a furniture store but by 1958 it had become derelict and faced the prospect of being demolished.
A preservation order was placed on the building. It was bought by Patrick Trevor Roper a direct descendent and with funding from the Historic Buildings Council was partly restored. It was leased out to different tenants until it was sold in 1977 to Mrs Llewellyn, only parts of the ground floor was used and the rest of the building once again almost became a ruin.
It was sold on again in 1986 by Mrs Bayley who still owns it. With her own money and some funding from the CADW, the house was restored. Plas Teg is known as the most haunted house in Wales and is said to have numerous ghosts there from different periods of time. To be pushed or prodded by them is said to be a regular occurrence which can happen day or night.
People also experience extreme emotion such as joyfulness or despair to the point of been brought to tears for no apparent reason. There are also many noises heard such as bangs, footsteps, crying and the sound of children’s laughter.
South stack lighthouse
The lighthouse situated on South Stack Rock lies separate from Holyhead by 30 metres of sea. The first petition for a patent for a lighthouse was refused by Charles II in 1665. The first lighthouse was not done until 1809 at the cost of £12.000. Before a bridge was built to reach it the only way to get there was by a basket which was suspended on a rope.
In 1859 it is said that the worst storm of the century happened it became known as the Royal Charter Gale. On the 25th October and the day after over 200 vessels were wrecked with the loss of over 800 lives, one of these vessels was a steamship the Royal Charter with a loss of 500 lives.
Also on that same day Jack Jones the assistant keeper was making his way across the bridge to the lighthouse, when a rock which had swept from the rocks by the wind struck him on his head, he dragged himself further up the path but unable to go any more he collapsed, he was found at the same spot the following day by Henry Bowen, tragically he died 3 weeks later.
Also lighthouse keepers, mariners and the local people have lost their lives due to the treacherous sea. Over the years the lantern was replaced 3 times to bring it up to date, electricity was introduced in 1938 and it became automated in 1984 and the keepers were withdrawn.
The light signal is now remotely managed by the Trinity House Operational Control Centre in Essex.
There are many reports of strange things happening at the lighthouse including the sound of heavy footsteps, cries and screams and the presence of the ghosts of children and Jack Jones.